[WikiEN-l] What is the fundamental goal of the project?

Francis Tyers spectre at ivixor.net
Thu Jan 25 22:17:53 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 22:11 +0000, charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
wrote:
> Omegatron wrote
>
> > For instance, machine
> > translations are considered "worse than nothing" because of their poor
> > quality, so it would seem that "of the highest possible quality" is
> > more important than "in their own language".
>
> Unless they have got better recently, I wouldn't characterise machine translations as 'into' the target language.

Between certain languages machine translations can be of very high
quality. The Catalan newspaper El Periodico de Catalunya uses machine
translation for translating their articles between Catalan and Spanish.

It really is a shame that the only machine translation people generally
get to absorb is that produced by SYSTRAN in its various guises (Google,
Babel Fish etc).

Fran