[WikiEN-l] Criteria of notability for web

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Thu Jan 25 20:08:20 UTC 2007

Bogdan Giusca wrote:
> I have an issue with the third criterium of notability for web content,
> which IMO should not exist at all:
>
> <<
> Web-specific content is notable if it meets any one of the following criteria:
>
> 3) The content is distributed via a medium which is both well known and
> independent of the creators, either through an online newspaper or
> magazine, an online publisher, or an online broadcaster.
>
> from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability_(web)
>
> I have a blog on Blogger, which is a medium both well known and
> independent of me.
>
> According to the criterion, my blog is notable. Actually, all the
> blogs from Blogger are notable, only the blogs hosted by their owners
> fail this criterion of notability.

It helps when you include the footnote:

Content that is distributed by independent online sites will almost
certainly satisfy the first criterion. However, this criterion ensures
that our coverage of such content will be complete regardless. For
example, Ricky Gervais had a podcast distributed by The Guardian. Such
distributions should be nontrivial. Although GeoCities and Newgrounds
are exceedingly well known, hosting content on them is trivial.

Care to make an argument that distribution via Blogger is non-trivial?