[WikiEN-l] Gosh darn it, those spammers^Wmarketers will show us what for

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Thu Jan 25 13:27:09 UTC 2007

On 24 Jan 2007 at 11:24, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Wikipedia is a give / take thing. you give your effort and in
> return you are rewarded with something which will help you in the
> search engine rankings with Google and possibly the other major
> engines.
>
> http://www.sepguy.com/2007/01/23/5-reasons-wikipedia-is-doomed.html

That page is a real "How many errors can you find in this page?"
brainteaser.  The author's attribution of WikiSeek as having been
launched by Jimbo Wales (it's actually by a company named Searchme,
Inc., unconnected with the Wikimedia Foundation, Wikia, or any other
Jimbo Wales venture) is the most glaring error I noticed.

The site also refers to "wiki Nazis", thus triggering Godwin's Law.
Then the author links to a personal anecdote of "Wikipedia hell"
which turns out to simply be the fact that he once added a lengthy
section on "Search Engine Prominence" to an article and had it
removed and criticized by another editor on the grounds of the
terminology being "not really standard".  Interesting definition of
"hell" as being a place where not everybody always agrees with you
all the time.  (It kind of reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode
where hell turned out to be a place of eternal boredom where
everything you try to do works perfectly with no conflict of any
sort.)

--
== Dan ==