[WikiEN-l] Preloading template in new articles

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 23:09:44 UTC 2007

On 23/01/07, Oskar Sigvardsson <oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Still, my main argument still stands. It's condescending and rude, and
> that's not how we should treat our new users, let alone our
> experienced ones who are going to have to see that damn notice every
> damn time they start an article. I just think that that is not the way
> we should be treating new users.
> I know I would never have joined if I had been greeted by a bunch of
> reference-fanatic dudes who didn't have any patience with people who
> didn't quite get how wikipedia works.

Unfortunately, not doing so is likely to see their article zapped,
which is a much less n00b-friendly experience.

Yet another person just popped onto IRC asking how to create an
article that wouldn't get killed on sight. I said "write a few
paragraphs, add good references." "How should I format the
references?" "Not important. Just have them. Trust me - after dredging
through lame garage band articles on Special:Newpages, you'll cry at
the wikibeauty of an article that actually has its refs."

Surely it's polite to let them know rather than give great big warning
notices but no clues.

- d.