[WikiEN-l] Water chestnuts

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 23:46:04 UTC 2007

On 22/01/07, Gregory Kohs <thekohser at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oldak says:
> ++++++++++++++++
> Just some quick Google results:
> +"Water chestnut" +"Eleocharis dulcis"
> (
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%2B%22Water+chestnut%22+%2B%22Eleocharis+dulcis%22
> )
> produces  807 results)
>
> +"Water chestnut" +"Trapa natans"
> (
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aunofficial&hs=EKn&q=%2B%22Water+chestnut%22+%2B%22Trapa+natans%22&btnG=Search&meta=
> )
> gives 25,700 results
>
> Without searching further, wouldn't the page (were it not a
> disambiguation page) better point to T. natans, rather than E. dulcis
> as you suggest?
> Which one do you think 98% of Wikipedia users are actually searching for?

I admit my search may skew the results in favour of botany (rather
than cuisine or popular culture), but since matching "Water chestnut"
with T. natans gives 30 times more results, I would say there is a
significance to my results.

I'm surprised that the association that seems obvious to you produces
less than 1000 Google hits.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)