[WikiEN-l] defused timebomb

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 14:15:04 UTC 2007

On 21/01/07, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
> No, no, and just plain... no. "Process" is what killed Nupedia. The OP
> has our sincere thanks for removing another of our drive-by-stupidity
> magnets. Seriously. Next thing you know [[snopes.com]] or [[The Straight
> Dope]] will have entire sections labelled "according to Wikipedia..."
> where they debunk all of the unreferenced tripe that's lying around.

Just to clarify: Keeping to established processes when it comes to
contentious actions (deletion process, etc.) is important to ensuring
the project works day-to-day, flows well and reduces editor annoyance.

Having too much process (for example, when it is not necessary) is not
good. It takes away from the ease and enjoyability of volunteering for
Wikipedia. More importantly, it stops users taking spontaneous
decisions which are usually beneficial to the project (I, for one, am
less likely to do something if there are lots of hoops to jump
through.)

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)