[WikiEN-l] What is an "expert"?

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 20 22:57:19 UTC 2007

> From: Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net>
> Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:48:21 -0500
> To: "Wiki-EN-L (new topics)" <wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
> Subject: [WikiEN-l] What is an "expert"?
>
> Hello all,
>
> I believe there is something we should ask at this point. This question is
> for everyone participating in this Mailing List:
>
> What is your definition of an "expert"?
>
> Please, for now, try to resist responding to the others' answers, simply
> state your own.
>
> Marc Riddell

In my case, I don¹t work with a single definition of the word ³expert²; in
too many contexts it is divisive and elitist. That is why, when I must use
it for any reason, I enclose it in quotes (no, I don¹t use air quotes when I
speak it, George Carlin broke me of that).

Rather, my focus is on the material that may be in question. If that
material is in my field, and it is counter to what I have learned in the
past, I know where, and to whom, to go for verification.

If that material is in a field I know a little bit about, and the
statement(s) don¹t jive with what I¹ve learned in the past, I go to other
source(s) and check them out.

If it is in a field I know absolutely nothing about ­ and I am wanting to
apply what it is telling me to someone or something in my own life ­ I read
many sources.

My beliefs regarding the word ³expert² were further strengthened recently
when a person on CNN was introduced as a ³personal safety expert². I didn¹t
know whether they were a bodyguard, a crossing guard, or someone who
designed condoms.  After the interview was over ­ I still didn¹t know. :-)

Perspective.

Marc Riddell