[WikiEN-l] Nofollow back on URL links on en.wikipedia.org articles for now

Bogdan Giusca liste at dapyx.com
Sat Jan 20 18:15:24 UTC 2007

Saturday, January 20, 2007, 5:08:52 PM, Steve wrote:

> Right.  But some of the sites we link to are good sites, and
> do deserve our "vote" in terms of increasing their pagerank.
> (But the problem, of course, is that there's no way to
> differentiate those external links of ours that have this
> quality, versus those that are as-yet-undetected linkspam.)

Wikipedia's primary objective is to build an encyclopedia,
not to help the search engines to have better results.

Without the "nofollow" tag, we'd have much more spam, which is
detrimental to that objective.

Wikipedia also should always be neutral and it should try not to
directly influence the events outside of it.