[WikiEN-l] Mathematics university lecture notes - useful to anybody?

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 14:47:29 UTC 2007

On 20/01/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It is far easier to source a text than to gather sources and write a
> > new article from scratch. Sourcing is grunt work where writing a new
> > article requires creativity and whatnot.
>
> That kind of thinking is one of the biggest problem with Wikipedia at
> the moment. Sourcing should always come *before* writing. The source
> is where the information came from, that's what "source" means, so you
> have to have the source before you can write the article. Adding
> sources afterwards is a way of fixing a problem - unsourced articles -
> it should not be a part of the standard process of writing articles.
> The problem should never be created in the first place.

We want the same end: good, readable, sourced mathematical articles.
I'm suggesting that sourcing these notes would be the quickest way to
achieve this. I agree that sourcing written texts is not the
preferable way to achieve our end, but I don't think the end-article
is worse than an alternative article written from sources first.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)