[WikiEN-l] A copy of WP articles

Brian Salter-Duke b_duke at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 20 12:00:00 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 02:57:04PM +1100, Steve Bennett wrote:
> On 1/20/07, Brian Salter-Duke <b_duke at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> >http://www.justrec.com/wilderness.html
> >
> >This is just one of several articles on this site that appears to be a
> >direct copy of the WP article. Scouting is another. They claim copyright
> >on the page and do not mention WP. Is this legit?
>
> When this came up a few months ago, we concluded that it was not
> illegal to falsely claim copyright. It doesn't make their claim valid,
> but it's certainly easier for many sites to simply claim copyright
> over everything appearing on their site than to work out which part of
> that claim would actually be valid.
>
> Steve

This is pretty new to me. This site has all its substantial content
taken from Wikipedia, yet it claims to have copyright on it. I do not
think that is right. I have flagged it on the appropriate pages on WP and
I have finally tracked down the details of the site. I will e-mail them
tomorrow. Right now I'm off to bed having been on the turps.

Cheers, Brian.

          Brian Salter-Duke            b_duke at bigpond.net.au
               [[User:Bduke]]  mainly on en:Wikipedia.
           Also on fr: Wikipedia, Meta-Wiki and Wikiversity