[WikiEN-l] Citizendium trying out not being a fork of Wikipedia for a while

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Fri Jan 19 11:07:28 UTC 2007

Guettarda wrote:
> On 1/18/07, Steve Block <steve.block at myrealbox.com> wrote:
>> Matt R wrote:
>>> As per the subject, excerpts from:
>>>

>> https://lists.purdue.edu/pipermail/citizendium-l/2007-January/000863.html
>>> Larry Sanger writes,
>>>
>>>   "After seeing the widespread support for the suggestion
>>> that we try *not* forking Wikipedia--i.e., that we delete all articles
>> that
>>> are not marked "CZ Live"--I am about to instruct our tech team to go
>> ahead
>>> and make the deletion...
>> I'm a bit clueless, but does this mean they haven't used any Wikipedia
>> content, or that they have but they're hiding it?  I mean, all the
>> articles that are marked "CZ Live", are they based on Wikipedia content?
>>   And if they are, doesn't that mean they *have* to license under GFDL?
>>   Which, unless I got confused in another thread, they aren't planning
>> to do?
>>
>> Steve block
>

> Steve - if you poke around the Citizendium forum (there's a link to it in
> Matt's email) a lot of your questions may be answered.

I looked at Citizendium a while back but couldn't for the life of me
work out how I was supposed to become a contributor so I gave up looking
at it.

> Apparently their first "approved" article, Biology, was a complete re-write
> - the Wikipedia article was blanked.  Other people have modified existing
> articles.  As I understand it, the CZ Live stuff is stuff that people are
> working on.
>
> Obviously they can't release work based on WP articles under a more
> restrictive license.  New material could be - it seems to me that there's a
> debate between people who want the whole project to by cc-by-nc and those
> who want it to stay GFDL.

I can't see how you can ringfence certain articles.  If information is
moved from one GFDL article to another, a cc by nc, then the new article
must be both GFDL and cc by nc, no?  And aren't they incompatible?

Still, not really a huge amount of sense discussing citizendium here.