[WikiEN-l] Troubling news on Citizendium

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jan 19 07:11:29 UTC 2007

Fred Bauder wrote:

>>From: Ray Saintonge
>>

>>I agree in general, but deference to lawyers continues.  "IANAL" appears
>>far more frequently that any similar phrase for other professions.
>>

>And well it should. Listening to someone give legal advice that doesn't know squat is very painful. A good lawyer knows you have to be familiar with the facts and research the law before you start in with the advice, and even then it is likely to be wrong unless a judge agrees.

That a good lawyer knows about facts and research does not logically
imply that a person who is not a lawyer doesn't.  That the  lawyer is
likely to be wrong before a judge (who is himself a lawyer) does nothing
to build confidence in lawyers.

Listening to poor advice is indeed painful, but that experience is not
limited to law.  Law does not begin and end with the statutes.  For
every statutory provision there are people willing to give multiple
interpretations where you would not expect them, and precedents often
appear contradictory.  I believe that people have to accept the direct
consequences of their actions, and ignorance of those consequences is no
excuse.  It also comes down to a matter of risk tolerance, and I find
most people to be not risk tolerant at all.

Ec