No subject

Sun Jan 7 16:43:09 UTC 2007

We teach librarians how to evaluate sources, and how to teach
the students they will help how to evaluate.

For many years we've been
teaching how to evaluate web sources, and both students and
librarians have gotten fairly good at it.  It's even easier to
teach how to evaluate & use WP: paid advertising is not prominent
among the results, and a good deal of material present on the
web is filtered out: if you enter a city name you will not get
airline schedules, weather forecasts, and hotel advertisements.
Even the biases are more likely to be out in the open, and you
can check them by looking at related articles. At a more advanced
level, the edit histories make very good teaching examples.

What students (including library school students) are weak
at is evaluating print sources.

The material you linked to is about as good a statement as
I have seen. I would have emphasized even more the
use of WP as a starting point, and the use of external
links. WP is not primarily a web directory, but it is a useful
web directory nevertheless.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.