[WikiEN-l] Troubling news on Citizendium

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 21:23:31 UTC 2007

On 1/17/07, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at waterwiki.info> wrote:
> Experts, to function well on Wikipedia, need to more than just proclaim
> themselves an expert and regurgitate what they learned in school.
> Particularly they must be familiar with the literature and be able to cite it.
> That may be a rare talent, as is excellent teaching, the underlying skill
> that is involved in writing an introductory textbook, which is what a
> Wikipedia article is, in part.

Side benefit of Wikipedia: we're teaching legions (well, thousands) of
people who otherwise never would have had the opportunity how to do
good, well researched and cited academic type writing.

You can see this in how some professors are making Wikipedia articles
be "the class writing project" for some courses...  Even they consider
it an environment where both the process and final products are good
practice for that.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com