[WikiEN-l] Policies for students regarding use of Wikipedia?

Jeff Raymond jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com
Tue Jan 16 20:46:27 UTC 2007

phoebe ayers wrote:

> * if any of you are librarians or professors, if you have answers for the
> last question about how WP is handled at reference desks and in classes.

As a librarian, the town I work for has no set policy regarding Wikipedia,
but I have had a few questions about it from parents and students, and my
typical directive (and one that is shared with a small group of librarian
friends) is that Wikipedia, like any other source, is not good enough for
the only basis of research for a project that requires such research.  As
a starting point/overview, it's a great tool, and often has great sources
to extend research further, but should not be used as the only source for
anything.

I say the same for Britannica, World Book, whatever else as well.

-Jeff