[WikiEN-l] incivility.

Earle Martin wikipedia at downlode.org
Tue Jan 16 17:28:53 UTC 2007

On 16/01/07, Christopher Thieme <cdthieme at gmail.com> wrote:
> > P.S. Your emails are breaking mailing list threads in Gmail.
>
> I don't even begin to know what that means, and as a result I'm inclined to
> not really care.

Way to go on the "considering other people" front there.

Gmail groups email replies together as "conversations" (known in other
mail clients as "threads"). Every time you send a reply to this list,
you break these conversations apart, because whatever you are using to
write email with is not including the In-Reply-To header. Before you
say "I don't know what that is so I don't care", I suggest you read
about email headers at http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers.html, and
if you still want to plead ignorance, you can continue to RFC 822, the
specification document originally defining it, at
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc822.html. Given that RFC 822 sees its
twenty-fifth birthday this August, your mail client clearly has some
issues to address.

The upshot of all this is that your messages effectively double the
number of apparent conversations in Gmail users' WikiEN-l mailboxes,
which is annoying, and your attitude is even more so. Please devote
the time necessary to identify and rectify both issues.

--
Earle Martin
            http://downlode.org/