[WikiEN-l] Moving the Main Page

Mark Ryan ultrablue at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 02:33:19 UTC 2007

On 15/01/07, PeruvianLlama <peruvianllama at gmail.com> wrote:
(snip)
> What I mean to say is that if moving the
> Main Page right now will be a pain because of server strain and
> internal/external link updating, then does it not follow that this will
> be even more of a pain once we have another year's worth of edit
> histories, and another year's worth of internal/external links floating
> around? And by extension, it will be all the more worse with five years'
> worth, and ten years' worth, etc.
(snip)

I see your point; if we're going to have to change its name, it's
probably better to do it sooner rather than later.

I personally don't subscribe to the "OMG think of all the broken
links" line of thinking. We wouldn't be silly enough to shift the Main
Page and leave it a red link.

I think the best thing to do would be to make a non-wiki-page portal
for our front page, like we have for www.wikipedia.org. It would be
editable from a MediaWiki page somewhere, but would be full HTML
coding, so we could get rid of the Monobook skin for the front page,
and put all our effort into making the front page the sort of page
people would set as their home page.

~Mark Ryan