[WikiEN-l] Moving the Main Page

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 15:24:12 UTC 2007

On 1/14/07, Christopher Thieme <cdthieme at gmail.com> wrote:
> As to other links in print sources.  Whoever wrote up marketing materials
> with " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page " on it should be dragged into
> the street and shot, or at least fired because anyone in ad copy will tell
> you to state shorter URLs on such materials, or your target audience won't
> find it or (worse) they'll ignore it.  Heck, I type en.wikipedia.org each
> time I get to Wikipedia, but I'm not most people.  Most people don't think
> when looking at or responding to ads, written materials, etc.  Any smart
> marketing/adcopy person would have told you to get put together materials
> saying " www.wikipedia.com "
>
> Jimbo, if that's the case, fire the marketing department.

What marketing? When did wikipedia ever do marketing? Never! Marketing
has never ever been a priority in any way since page hits are fairly
irrelevant to the development of wikipedia since we're an ad-free
non-profit (well, atleast not pagehits beyond a certain point needed
to get contributors).

And by the way, are you seriously arguing that having the main page
where it is has hurt wikipedias popularity? Are you freaking kidding
me? We're in the top 10 most visited websites! Popularity is the least
of our concerns.

If you think about decisions about wikipedia in terms of marketing,
you're really not getting what wikipedia is.

--Oskar