[WikiEN-l] CSD A7 and software programs

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Jan 14 20:18:51 UTC 2007

On 1/14/07, K P <kpbotany at gmail.com> wrote:
> At some point, though, Wikipedia has to decide what it is, a reliable source
> of information on the Internet, or a place for its editors.  At one of the
> top 10 sites, it should be leaning towards the former, with, eventually, all
> information reliable and sourced.

See, if I *had* to make a choice, I'd choose the latter.  In fact, I'd
shut off the search engines through robots.txt and send everyone to
one of the mirrors before I'd lose focus on the goal of *creating* the
best encyclopedia.  Being a top 10 website is not the goal (in my
opinion).  At best it is a means to attract new contributors - at
worst it is a distraction due to people saying exactly what you just
said.

Do I think a choice *has* to be made?  No, not really.  I think it's
quite possible to have a single site that does both; or alternatively,
for the foundation to run both sites.