[WikiEN-l] Moving the Main Page

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 14:21:25 UTC 2007

On 1/14/07, Oskar Sigvardsson <oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are none really. Not even consitency, because there is another
> exception that NO one wants moved out of the main name-space, namely
> the shortcut-redirects (like [[WP:RFA]], [[WP:AFD]], etc.) If we're
> going to be completely anal about the rules, shouldn't those go
> aswell? There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to move the main
> page.

Well, no, there are clearly lots of good reasons to main page should
not be in main article space. Unfortunately there are also lots of
reasons why moving it is a bad reason. It's always sort of a bad sign
when the reasons for/against doing something are predominantly based
on the cost of doing it, not on the desirability of the end result.

Anyway, reasons Main Page should not be in article space:
- It's not an article
- It's a portal
- If ever there is a thing called Main Page that needs to be
described, things are going to get awkward

Reasons Main Page should be in article space:
- It's there now and it's a major hassle to change it.

The exceptions like WP:RFA etc have a good reason for being in article
space: their existence would be pointless if they weren't.

Steve