[WikiEN-l] African maps

Aude audevivere at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 00:20:53 UTC 2007

We should think about how the maps would be useful for us.  Simply mirroring
the content doesn't add value.  How can we add value to them, by combining
maps and other information (maybe into a map/timeline for particular places
that we have articles for)?  For example, we could show how the
political/colonial boundaries changed over time for the continent as a whole
or for regions.  It might be a useful supplement to articles to develop some
form of online, historical atlas about places.

It may be possible to georeference some of them, so that they can be viewed
in a GIS/web mapping service, to work with them on adding value integrating
different sources of information, and begin to synthesize information into a
digital atlas format.  We could combine maps available from Northwestern,
with other sources (e.g. Library of Congress, other map libraries).  The
University of Texas and Penn State map libraries come to mind as other
places with treasure trove of materials that are not online yet.

I have many ideas going through my mind now, some mentioned here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:AudeVivere/GIS  Basically, I think the
current way of doing "locator maps" is lacking and having some "atlas"
supplement to articles about places and topics with geographic aspects would
be wonderful.  The maps of Africa provide one excellent source for input
materials.

If we had some specific, thoughtful way that we wanted to use them, to add
value, to integrate them with our articles or other content, then I think
Northwestern would be happy for us to use them.  It may easier for them to
provide us with the images on a cd-rom/dvd-rom (if we asked)

Also, given a well thought idea, getting support through grant money is a
possibility to help get the ball rolling. (this is being discussed on
foundation-l)

-Aude

> Matthew Brown wrote:
>
> >On 1/12/07, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> >

> Absolutely, there's lots of reasons, but the reasons should be there on
> an item by item basis.  Do we need to indiscriminately host their entire
> corpus of maps when we only have use for a few?  Even the argument that
> something might be taken down needs to be on a case by case basis, and
> not base it on unfounded speculation.  There are some sites, not major
> universities, where this would be a worry.  A site where there has been
> no new activity in the last couple of years might be a cause for concern.
>
> Ec

Aude