[WikiEN-l] editorial oversight, re: afd, fac, etc.

Eugene van der Pijll eugene at vanderpijll.nl
Sat Jan 13 17:58:28 UTC 2007

K P schreef:
> On 1/13/07, Eugene van der Pijll <eugene at vanderpijll.nl> wrote:
> >
> > K P schreef:
> > > The AfD for Rock climbing is just the most outrageous of recent
> > nominations
> > > that contributes to the impression that AfD is broken
> > >
> > > [
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Rock_climbing
> >
> > No it isn't. It shows that AfD is working perfectly fine.
> >
> > What exactly is the problem, apart from that the article was nominated
> > at all?
> >
> > Eugene
>

> That is the problem that the article was nominated at all, in this case.

It only takes a single editor to nominate an article for deletion. If
the nomination is invalid, that's a problem with that single editor.

Any system in which it takes more than one editor to nominate an article
for AfD will lead to a two level system, with a pre-AfD Nomination for
Deletion discussion.

Any system in which it takes less than one editor to nominate an article
needs better AI than we currently have.

> The time could have been spent researching and improving the Rock climbing
> article.

So someone should have speedy-closed the discussion sooner. I agree with
that.

> The overall problem though is that there are guidelines and they're ignored
> in favor of deletionists proposing articles for deletion because of their
> poor quality regardless of the subject, or for a dozen other reasons not
> related to suggested guidelines for deletion (the play only opened a week
> ago so the article should be deleted).

In most instances where a nomination does not follow the guidelines, the
article is kept, sometimes even speedy, which shows that AfD is doing
its job. Or common sense overrules the guidelines, which is good too.

> I've only done AfD for a couple of weeks, and I've taken it off my
> watch list, because it's frustrating debating articles nominated by
> editors who admit they're nominating it *because they never heard of
> it*

Where? Today's AfD contains over 100 articles already; I haven't found a
single nomination "because I never heard of it".

Eugene