[WikiEN-l] editorial oversight, re: afd, fac, etc.

Keitei nihthraefn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 22:22:03 UTC 2007

On Jan 12, 2007, at 16:11, Kirill Lokshin wrote:
> I suppose now might be a decent time to trot out an old idea: what
> about giving WikiProjects a greater role in the deletion process?
> They are already (for the most part) the natural gathering places for
> people with some interest in a particular topic (and, by association,
> some degree of knowledge of it); presumably, we could therefore expect
> that the consensus of participants in a WikiProject would thus be a
> little more informed on topics within that project's scope than the
> consensus of randomly selected editors.

I wonder if holding deletion debates within WikiProject space would
be a feasible or good idea. The idea would be creating consensus over
whether something was notable/verifiable enough among those familiar
with the topic, so as to create a more nuanced debate. A time limit
would probably be not such a great idea, but once consensus was
reached, deletion could be requested. Of course there isn't a
WikiProject for every topic, and not every nominator knows where to
find relevant WikiProjects. However, this would curb uninformed drive-
by votes and make deletion discussions hopefully more debate and less
polling. It'd also be a huge reform to deletion process, which is
entirely unwanted if I read community feeling correctly. Oh well.