[WikiEN-l] (no subject)

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 16:14:17 UTC 2007

I personally fear systemic bias on wikipedia is being squeezed from
two directions concurrently at the moment.

The way AFD currently works means that pages which are not on many
users watchlists is uniquely vulnerable to AFD-wonks predation. So
that means that the bias stemming from our communitys composition not
only affects what gets created but also what gets deleted. This
two-way squeeze worries me.

Although I commend in general terms the drive to emphasize quality
over quantity, to me at least that does not extend so far as to
emphasizing removal of content over creation of it. And this is a
question that should at least be addressed. I think it would be useful
if the board and or Jimbo uttered something on the matter to let us
know how they view the question in general on this mailing list.

I do not wish to make this a discussion of specific examples but
rather a more general definition of guiding principles. But if
necessary for illustrating the reality of the issue, I will find some
examples to ground it in reality. I really don't think such is
necessary, and would much prefer to discuss the matter under a "veil
of ignorance" about which particular areas are most vulnerable, and in
the abstract.

So how about it? Even if we accept that quantity is *less* important
than the quality, is creation still preferred over removal?