[WikiEN-l] African maps

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 14:25:32 UTC 2007

> The format with which they appear on the net makes them hard/very hard
> to copy. Contacting may be only option

I'm not sure what the legal issues would be with taking them straight
off the net, anyway. It looks like the BBC means free as in beer, not
speech. While the copyright on a 16th century map has almost certainly
expired, the scanned version of it might be copyrighted (I'm no
expert, but I'm sure someone here can tell me whether or not scanned
images are copyrightable). The site doesn't seem to say what the
copyright status is.

It's probably best to contact them directly.