[WikiEN-l] Could we tone down the language a bit?

Nina Stratton ninaeliza at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 14:09:03 UTC 2007

> A least one problem I envision with such MH Articles in WP is the fact
> that
> you would, in some cases, have patients writing the textbook. There are
> many
> aspects of mental, emotional, and behavioral conditions that are beyond
> some
> persons¹ ability to accept. In the very first month that I signed on as a
> WP
> editor I encountered such a problem. I wanted to upgrade an existing
> Article
> on a chemical dependency-related subject, and immediately encountered
> strong
> resistance from another editor. I was attempting to emphasize the disease
> component of the condition, but the editor refused to acknowledge this
> fact.
> Being very new to WP, after a least a week of back and forth with this
> editor, of endless diatribes by them, and every one on my edits being
> changed, I finally gave up, left the Article, and haven¹t looked back
> since.
> I have practiced (one day I may get it right :-) ) in the fields of
> Clinical
> Psychology and Psychotherapy for 42 years now. I wanted to bring some
> expertise to the Articles in WP related to my fields, but have backed
> away.
>
> I would love to see more, well-written Articles on all aspects of MH in
> the
> encyclopedia. I believe they should be written by persons schooled in the
> fields, and should be written so that any sentient person could understand
> it. For me, the true measure of an ³expert² in something is his or her
> ability to explain it to someone who isn¹t.
>
> I would also like to see links to biographies of persons in the
> encyclopedia
> who have suffered from these conditions.
>
> Some thoughts.
>
> Marc Riddell
>
> It's "consumers", not "patients". That cranky statement aside...

[[NAMI]] highlighted a study done on the stigma associated with psychiatric
disabilities and found that the population that had the most intransigent
prejudices against the mentally ill were mental health professionals
themselves. This is disappointing, but not surprising. Though study after
study showcases the success rate of the Recovery Model, few MHPs know it,
much less accept it or even understand it.

On a side note, many people reject the disease model of addiction. I myself
stopped drinking through [[Rational Recovery]]. A 29% success rate [[12 step
model]] simply didn't cut it for me.

Nina