[WikiEN-l] psychosis and wikipedia.

Fred Bauder fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Wed Jan 10 15:18:03 UTC 2007

No need to do research. Open to all, Wikipedia attracts its share, at least, of users with both mild and serious psychological problems. Certain psychoses are so debilitating that the symptoms preclude editing, but persons suffering from classic paranoia and sociopathy (these are not necessarily the correct current diagnostic labels) are certainly able to edit and, at times, do, as well as numerous users with a variety of neurotic problems (another term not currently in as a diagnostic label). These conditions lie behind much of the disruptive behavior seen on Wikipedia. We do not attempt to diagnose users; we deal with them based on their behavior. This may involve simple blocking of "vandals", drawn out arbitration cases, or calling the police.

There is an essay I originally wrote, Wikipedia:Wikipedia is not therapy, which explores some of these questions.

Fred