[WikiEN-l] psychosis and wikipedia.

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 14:54:38 UTC 2007

On 1/10/07, Nina Stratton <ninaeliza at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like the article on extroverts and attention seekers that Luna brought up,
> but it doesn't really address certain cultural factors. The current
> veneration of celebrities in general, is almost a world-wide phenomenon now.
> Many people hold the view that any celebrity is good, and that celebrities
> are to be envied wholesale. That makes Wikipedia a target for anyone wanting
> their "one minute of fame".

Plenty of productive ways of getting low level fame on wikipedia.
While the multiple author thing means that featured articles are not
that good a way of getting it featured pictures are.

> I honestly believe that most vandals come here expecting to get into the
> news the next day, because Wikipedia has become so high profile. It's the
> folks who come here sub-consciously craving negative attention that are the
> real problem. Those are people who are typically very wounded, and there is
> definitely some Psychology working there.

The Herostratus approach? I feel that this one only applies to a
limited number of our more persistent Vandals.

--
geni