[WikiEN-l] One way inter-languages links?

Gurch matthew.britton at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 9 18:03:30 UTC 2007

howard chen wrote:
> On 1/10/07, Gurch <matthew.britton at btinternet.com> wrote:
>> howard chen wrote:
>>> Currently, I found quite a lot of one-way inter-languages links,
>>>
>>> e.g.
>>>
>>> langA -> langB
>>>
>>> but you can't go from
>>>
>>> langB -> langA
>>>

>>> are there any method to improve this suitation?
>> There are some automated bots that look for such things and add the
>> appropriate links, but they don't operate on all languages, especially
>> not the smaller ones. If you spot such a situation, adding the
>> appropriate link yourself would be appreciated; unfortunately, I doubt
>> anyone has the time to hunt down an entire wiki's worth of missing links.
>>
>> -Gurch

> i just thought that, since all the inter-lang links are stored in the
> database, so either the links exist or not, I don't know why there
> will be one-way link.
>
> this problem has nothing to do with small language or not, since if
> small_language -> english, we can always find the reverse, i don't
> think that wikipedia need a bot to discover that? since the data are
> in the DB already, isn;t?
>
> regards,

Unfortunately it's not quite that simple; at the moment, each wiki is
effectively separate at the database level. Right now, the developers
are working on something called "Single User Login", which will allow
all Wikimedia wikis to share a common user account system. This means
people will be able to create one user account and use it on every
Wikimedia wiki, rather than having to register a separate account on
each wiki they want to use.

Given that Single User Login is five months overdue already, I imagine
trying to integrate the interwiki links would also take quite a while.

-Gurch