[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Request for usage statistics

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 12:41:53 UTC 2007

Anyone got ideas on this?

- d.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Junde Yu <junde2 at gmail.com>
Date: 07-Jan-2007 19:36
Subject: [Wikitech-l] Request for usage statistics
To: wikitech-l at wikipedia.org

Hi Everyone,

I would like to request for some usage and participation statistics from
Wikipedia. I am a student from Singapore working on my thesis on online
knowledge sharing and contribution with a particular focus on Singapore.

Wikipedia is a shining example of online knowledge sharing and
collaboration. I would like to know the amount of traffic to Wikipedia from
Singapore (can be filtered by IP), and what is the percentage of lurkers vs
contributors. If possible, I would like such statistics for a few more
notable countries for comparison.

I have obtained some statistics (http://www.nedworks.org/~mark/reqstats/)
from an administrator, but i don't understand the notations and i think it's
only general statistics, not sorted by physical location.
My purpose is to back my hypothesis that users from Singapore and generally
Asia, contribute less by metrics of the ration of lurkers against
contributors/wikipedians. My thesis aims to analyse such a situation and
suggest recommendations.
I hope this request is not too much of a hassle. I am a honours student in
Communications and Media from the National Unviersity of Singapore (
www.nus.edu.sg). I can also be contacted at junde at nus.edu.sg

Thank You & Regards,
Yu Junde