[WikiEN-l] Thousands of *awful* articles on websites

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Jan 6 23:04:00 UTC 2007

Stan Shebs wrote:

>Steve Block wrote:
>

>>How do we know reliable sources aren't lying.  Every newspaper and
>>source in town reports Colin Montgomerie holed the winning putt in the
>>2004 Ryder Cup, but it isn't true, Ian Poulter struck the putt that
>>mathematically won the cup.  Monty's story simply made better press.  If
>>we do, as you say, withhold judgement on whether a source is correct,
>>why do you then say we can't use some sources because they may be lying.
>>  Obviously some judgement is at play.
>>

>Well, if the source is lying, then by definition it's not reliable. Your
>example is an object lesson in how newspapers are intermediate in
>reliability; they are usually better than Joe Random's blog, but not as
>good as a scholarly monograph that has had multiple layers of review
>spread over multiple years.

We have no easy objective way of knowing that a source is lying.  A
newspaper may print a retraction within a few days of the original
article on the subject, but we would be hard-pressed to know if this
happened.  Some newspapers like "National Enquirer" have a reputation
for their unique interpretation of "truth".  An archeologist who
discovers a cache of these lining clay pots generations after the paper
has ceased publication may believe that he has a trove of insights into
the way that people lived in the twentieth century.  As Walter Miller
expressed it, a fallout shelter is a place where fallouts could seek
refuge from the war.  So yes, a lying source is objectively not
reliable, but we don't know if it's lying.

Ec