[WikiEN-l] MP3 & OGG

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sat Jan 6 04:18:45 UTC 2007

On 4 Jan 2007 at 22:57, Stan Shebs <stanshebs at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On music players, the high-order bit is the deal with record companies
> that allows for music to be sold online in vast quantities; Apple isn't
> going to jeopardize that just to placate the 43 techies who really want
> ogg support. For instance, an ogg implementation that was able to defeat
> the DRM would trash Apple's entire music business. I don't have any
> inside knowledge though, so for all we know they may announce ogg
> support at Macworld in a couple weeks.

That explanation seems kind of bogus... MP3, while it's "unfree" in
the sense of having patent encumbrances, is free of DRM, and can be
used to exchange unprotected music (including pirated music).  Apple
still doesn't mind supporting it.  Adding Ogg support wouldn't
provide any opportunity to get around DRM that isn't already there.

--
== Dan ==