[WikiEN-l] MP3 & OGG

George Chriss GChriss at psu.edu
Fri Jan 5 05:11:15 UTC 2007

"Apple seems to be ideologically committed to [propriety formats].'

To their credit, Apple is not quite Microsoft.  A good overview of FLOSS supported by Apple:

http://developer.apple.com/opensource/overview.html

Thanks, George
[[User:GChriss]]

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 04:09:35 +0000  English Wikipedia  wrote:

On 05/01/07, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:
> With Wikipedia's large current degree of popularity, doesn't it have
> any influence that could be wielded with manufacturers such as Apple
> to encourage them to add Ogg support to their players?

I don't wish to sound conspiratorial, but there are two great
paradigms in computing at the moment: free/libre/open and
proprietary/closed. Wikimedia is ideologically committed to one and
Apple seems to be ideologically committed to the other.

I think supporting an open format such a Ogg will be seen as a
concession by Apple to FLO and will be avoided for a while. By
supporting Ogg, one aspect of the free/libre movement could quickly
become ubiquitous. This may be seen as a slippery slope.

Anyway, even if I'm wrong, Ogg Vorbis (and Wikipedia's support of Ogg)
is not yet large enough to concede to the open movement for.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)