[WikiEN-l] YouTube links

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Jan 4 15:07:43 UTC 2007

On 1/4/07, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:
> [[WP:COPYRIGHT]] makes it clear that
> ''knowingly'' linking to infringing material is contributory
> infringement (also that linking to copyvios makes us look bad). Given
> that many YouTube vids are copyvios, we can be argued to *nkow* that
> violation is likely, and looking the other way and whistling
> innocently does not seem to me to be exercising due diligence.

By that same logic, we ought not link to any site hosted on a free
webspace provider like Yahoo!, since many of the sites hosted there
contain copyright violations. I think that would be an excessive
position that would deprive us from many useful external links.
Moreover, many videos which are "copyvio" by Wikipedia's standards may
well be found to be fair use by US legal standards.

Use common sense please.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik