[WikiEN-l] Thousands of *awful* articles on websites

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 4 11:09:42 UTC 2007

Kurt Maxwell Weber wrote

> Tough shit.  The rest of us don't have to modify our behavior to satisfy the
> irrational and capricious preferences of a few uptight jackasses.

See about that.

> > Furthermore Godwin's Law applies: call someone a Nazi, you LOSE the
> > argument.
>
> What a wonderful example of your misundertanding of Godwin's law.
>
> Godwin's law is, essentially: "As the length of an argument on
> $ELECTRONICCOMMUNICATIONSMEDIUM continues, the probability of a comparison
> involving Nazi Germany approaches one."
>
> That's not the exact formulation, of course, but that's the gist of it.
> Nothing about "losing" the argument.  Nor should there be.
>
> Why?
>
> Because there are times when comparisons with Nazi Germany are quite apt--such
> as in the case you're having a shitfit about.

Right. So it really wasn't a Seinfeld allusion at all. It was suggesting that enforcement of policy on website articles is actually donning jackboots.

The reason that Godwin's Law has such a corollary (with Gresham's Law as applied to threaded discussion, which I thought everyone takes as read) is that once the Nazi comparison is made, the rational case for anything goes straight out the window. Whose fault? Quite obvious.
> > I really don't think I'm the one who is maturity-challenged here.

> You're the one getting upset about stuff that doesn't matter...

Actually putting people in a pillory rather than explaining why you disagree with them matters a great deal. You are reading into my comments that "I'm upset". What I think, and am prepared to make an issue of, is the radical lack of civility being shown, to others rather than to me.

Charles