[WikiEN-l] Upcoming POV edits to narcissism articles

Deathphoenix originaldeathphoenix at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 20:33:41 UTC 2007

Hi folks, apologies in advance if double-posting to here an [[WP:AN]] is
bad, but the following is an email sent by Sam Vaknin, an individual who has
had some problems with Wikipedia in the past, to members of some of his
mailing lists. The general gist is that he's asking his members to edit
[[List of further reading on narcissism and narcissistic personality
disorder]], [[Narcissism (psychology)]], and [[Narcissistic personality
disorder]]. Of course, some edits will be good, but I think the three
articles will see an increase in the number of edits in the next little
while, and hence, some higher scrutiny will be beneficial. I posted a
chopped-down version to [[WP:AN]], but the following is the full version,
minus the usual mailing list footers.

---
Dear members,

Many of you wrote to me to ask why there is no "Sam Vaknin" entry in the
Wikipedia (there is an entry for the late and great Tim Field and entries
for many other online personalities).

Once, there was a "Sam Vaknin" entry on the Wikipedia.

Anyone can edit Wikipedia entries, so my entry was hijacked by trolls and
flamers and consequently, it contained slander and libel.

I had to write many letters to James Wales and to the legal advisor of the
Wikipedia (including repeated threats of litigation) to get the entry
deleted.

Please do NOT initiate a new entry, as some of you suggested. I do NOT want
to be the subject an entry in the Wikipedia.

My deleted entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sam_Vaknin&action=edit

My views about the Wikipedia:

http://samvak.tripod.master.com/texis/master/search/?q=Wikipedia

BUT

There is something you can do.

The Wikipedia entries for Narcissism (Psychology) and Narcissistic
Personality Disorder are laughable and contain numerous inaccuracies, urban
legends and utter nonsense.

Some parts of the entries are borrowed verbatim from my work (without
attribution or credit, without my permission, and despite numerous protests
and notices of copyright infringement issued by my publisher). But about 60%
of the text require urgent revisions or outright deletion.

Anyone can edit the entries. All you have to do is click on the edit button
in the upper navigation bar of the article. You can change the text, add
external links, add references to literature, citations, and anything else
you deem relevant. I encourage to give it a try.

Click on these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_further_reading_on_narcissism_and_narcissistic_personality_disorder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism_%28psychology%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder