[WikiEN-l] Thousands of *awful* articles on websites

Robth robth1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 18:07:39 UTC 2007

On 1/3/07, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Bogdan Giusca wrote:
> > The problem is that around 95% of those articles are not sourced (or
> > they are sourced from forum and blog posts) and at least 70% won't be
> > able to be sourced because they were never mentioned in the mainstream
> > press -- and probably very few were mentioned in books and journals.
>
> Perhaps that means you need a broader view of what sourcing is.

And why is that?  Remember, people learn to write Wikipedia by reading
Wikipedia.  If we're going to relax our content standards
substantially for one area, people are going to carry the lessons they
learn from reading that area into the rest of Wikipedia.  If something
can't be sourced up to our standards, we can do without it.

--
Robth
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Robth)