[WikiEN-l] Tim Noah addresses the notion of notability in another Slate article

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 19:59:37 UTC 2007

> (If anyone here does think notability follows from NPOV, NOR and
> verifiability, please do explain precisely how it does, step by step.
> Else there's no reason not to throw it out.)

Notability means there is likely to be enough verifiable material
about a subject from enough different sources to write about it in a
NPOV manner without resorting to original research.

Yes to an extent it is a short cut. But it is less effort to declare
every town in the US inherently notable rather than dig through every
case.

We decide if a poplar music band has two albums published by a
mainstream label there is no need to investigate further. If not we
have to consider the particular case.

An effect of this is that standards are only going to turn up when
needed. We don't have any for chemicals at the moment because we don't
have issues with people writing unverifiable articles about chemicals
on any real scale and NPOV should not be too much of an issue (OK not
quite true but not been an issue yet).

--
geni