[WikiEN-l] Study finds that Wikipedia has evolved from an oligarchy to a democarcy

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 02:47:57 UTC 2007

On 2/28/07, Keith Old <keithold at gmail.com> wrote:
> G'day folks,
>
> Nature has published an article on studies on Wikipedia editing patterns.

<snip>

> They have looked at 4.7 million pages from the English-language Wikipedia,
> subjected to a total of about 58 million revisions, to see who was making
> the changes, and how.

When I first read this I was very confused since we don't have that
many articles. Did they look at non-article pages? Seems unlikely.
Then I read the abstract of the study which states:

"Despite the apparent lack of order, the 50 million edits by 4.8
million contributors to the 1.5 million articles in the
English-language Wikipedia follow strong certain overall
regularities."

It seems like the Nature people just confused the numbers (4.7 and 4.8
are very close after all). Seems like a silly mistake :)

Can I say it?!?! PLEASE!! I want to say it! Ok, I'm saying it!

Had this article been.....

All right, I won't say it :(

--Oskar