[WikiEN-l] What makes a good article?

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Tue Feb 27 00:35:04 UTC 2007

Phil Sandifer wrote:
> I think before we can really deal with questions of what should and
> shouldn't be sourced, what a good source is, and what is and isn't
> worth having articles on, we have to go back to brass tacks and
> answer "What is a good article?"
>
> [...]
>
> To my mind there are three parts of a good article: it must be
> comprehensive, accurate, and interesting. [...]
>
> Are there any problems that people can see with this formulation?

I think it's a good start, but it's hard to say for sure without seeing
the implications. I'm sure you'll get more reaction as you connect it to
policy changes.

There are two other qualities I'd like in a good article: readable and
useful. I think the first one is somewhat out of scope, as you're
focusing mainly on sourcing. Although as Adam points out, readability
and comprehensiveness are at somewhat at odds, so it's not entirely
irrelevant.

As for utility, I think like interestingness, it's a hard one to pin
down because it's more about the reader's reaction. It's also somewhat
in competition. [[Period table]] and the conversion chart on [[Ring
size]] aren't so interesting, but they sure are useful. Personally, I'd
rank utility higher than interestingness as a criterion for article
goodness, with accuracy higher still.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>