[WikiEN-l] Scott McCloud on Wikipedia

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 26 01:00:55 UTC 2007

Philip Sandifer wrote:
> There is no good mechanism to have an encyclopedia written by idiots.

I would looove to see that reminder posted on every edit page!

But practically speaking, one of the problems I see is that idiots are
not usually self-aware, and they will vociferously defend the extreme
cultural importance of the not-yet-in-production "Amazing Lost American
Idol Race" show or whatever. (If I've learned anything from WP, it's
that there are way more lame TV shows out there than I ever imagined.
:-) ) How do you get would-be editors to realize when they don't have
anything of value to add?

Stan