[WikiEN-l] Scott McCloud on Wikipedia

Phil Sandifer Snowspinner at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 03:55:04 UTC 2007

On Feb 24, 2007, at 10:50 PM, geni wrote:

> Common sense has no requirement to be logical or to be based on
> evidence and thus has no place in a rational system.
>
> Of course we live in a world where there are huge social pressures to
> accept <s>bellyfeel</s> common sense
>
> If you want a system that outsides have a hope of figuring out you
> will set up system that includes as little common sense as possible.

Wikipedia is not a rational system.

Wikipedia is not designed and should not be designed to be written by
robots.

Wikipedia depends on subjective judgment, case by case evaluation,
and adherence to general principles, not to white line rules.

Your desire to systematize the world is admirable, but the era of
natural philosophy has long passed.

-Phil