[WikiEN-l] A new way of image uploading. Sort of

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 13:31:29 UTC 2007

On 2/24/07, Nick Wilkins <nlwilkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the common concerns that image owners bring up is the potential for
> commercial re-use of their images.  Would it be proper to make it explicit
> that uploading the image (and placing it under a free license) means that
> they would have to allow that?  In a perfect world, they would read and
> understand the text of the license; of course, it's not a perfect world.
> Regardless that they *should* know, it would probably be good if we did our
> best to avoid the situation where uploaders get mad at us when they find out
> the "hard way" that their images can be used commercially by others.

People with those concerns should be pointed to this essay written by
Eloquence and now hosted at the Definition of Free Cultural Works
site:

http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses/NC

Or give them the extremely quick summary: the viral nature of copyleft
licences (the "share-alike" provisions) prevents commercial
exploitation while allowing commercial innovation.

Whether it's appropriate stuff to mention on the upload form, I don't know.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com