[WikiEN-l] A new way of image uploading. Sort of

Nick Wilkins nlwilkins at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 13:20:59 UTC 2007

> OK there is still some fiddling to be done but You can see the first
> example of something I hope will become widespread here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Mamet
>
> be sure to click the image to look around the stuff behind it (mostly
> a new separate image upload page but there are other things)
>
> As I said it isn't quite finished and suggestions are welcome.
>
> Much credit goes to Editor at Large for the SVG, Gmaxwell for much of
> the formatting and Brion for turning on the required extension on en.
> --
> geni

One of the common concerns that image owners bring up is the potential for
commercial re-use of their images.  Would it be proper to make it explicit
that uploading the image (and placing it under a free license) means that
they would have to allow that?  In a perfect world, they would read and
understand the text of the license; of course, it's not a perfect world.
Regardless that they *should* know, it would probably be good if we did our
best to avoid the situation where uploaders get mad at us when they find out
the "hard way" that their images can be used commercially by others.

-- Jonel