[WikiEN-l] Moderation on this mailing list

Parker Peters parkerpeters1002 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 13:47:36 UTC 2007

On 2/22/07, Ron Ritzman <ritzman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/21/07, Rich Holton <richholton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps I'm misconstruing your point. Is your question rhetorical, or
> > actually seeking information? Are you suggesting that, if a "newbie
> > editor" were to simply walk away, there would be no problem?
>
> If the newbie's (or anybody else's) change to an article is reverted
> and he can't make his case in the "talk" phase then yes "walk
> away"[1]. There's no consensus for his change. A "dick" phase is not
> going to change that. If he strongly feels that. If he strongly feels
> that the article is being defended in a state that violates policy
> then there are "non dick" paths he can follow such as rfcs or arbcom.
> If he can't get satisfaction there then hey that's life. You can't win
> them all.

A "new user" who goes to either of these in less than 6 months is the most
likely candidate for the "sockpuppet aaugh sockpuppet" form of abuse all too
prevalent. He's also likely to be declared a sockpuppet/meatpuppet based on
the short life of account and/or IP address status alone, despite policy
stating that new people arrive to WP all the time (ESPECIALLY on the
articles that are highly contentious and involve plenty of POV issues) and
with no other evidence.

The system itself is abusive.

Parker

--