[WikiEN-l] Moderation on this mailing list

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Feb 20 19:08:03 UTC 2007

Oskar Sigvardsson wrote:

>On 2/20/07, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>But David, this takes me back to the original question: Is it really
>>offensive to call someone abusive? I, personally, would not use the word to
>>define someone, I would, instead, describe their behavior as abusive; but
>>isn't that, in the context of this List, somewhat nickpicky?
>>

>It totally depends on the context. If you have a serious complaint
>that you present properly with solid evidence to back it up, then
>calling an admin abusive isn't all that big of a deal. If you can't do
>that well and you are just throwing the word around, then hell yeah
>it's offensive.

It's still a judgement call that needs to be viewed in context.  Enough
needs to be let through to provide the context.

>Historically speaking, something like 95% of all incidents of people
>calling admins "rouge" or "abusive" have been wholly without merit.
>It's been people that have been reverted, people who want a specific
>agenda but isn't allowed, annoying vandals, etc. After a while, when
>you hear about an email such as was sent to the list and rejected, you
>kinda get the picture of what is in it, and you're glad when it is
>moderated out.

I'm willing to concede your 95% figure, but it's good to know what
problems are being raised.  The ones who act consistently without merit
will soon develop a reputation, and no-one on the list will be willing
to take up their cause.  A moderator should not be painting a target on
himself to take the flaming arrows intended for a less than wholesome
complainant.

Ec