[WikiEN-l] Deletions - do we cut a bit of slack for the Third World

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Fri Feb 16 17:05:44 UTC 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Brian Salter-Duke wrote:
> Should we, as I suggest there, cut a bit of slack for artciles about
> something in the Third World, or do we just accept the "no reliable
> third party sources for notability" mantra.

This is a special case of a fundamental problem with Wikipedia: the demand
for sources and notability produces a heavy bias towards things which are on
the Internet and can be easily found.

I'd say to accept it, but I'm hard pressed to find a reason to do so other
than IAR.  (Which proves that IAR can apply to *anything*...  how many of
you thought there would ever be a case where it needs to be used to ignore
notability?)