[WikiEN-l] - category clutter on biographical articles

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 14 13:40:20 UTC 2007

Michael Snow wrote

> Steve Bennett wrote:
>
> > On 2/14/07, charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
> > <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Well, categories should be verifiable. If not verifiable, the
> >> category itself is at fault, I think. [[Category:Guitarists
> >> influenced by Jimi Hendrix]] we can do without.
> >
> > Influences can be verifiable. See
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_%28band%29#Influence_on_other_musicians
> >

> Perhaps he meant the problem was that you'd arguably have to include
> every rock guitarist since 1969 in the category.

We can say in an article that, for example, Prince is influenced by Hendrix, if there is a decent quote from Prince saying exactly that. Otherwise it is a silly category to have there; and in fact pretty much redundant since you'd have to discuss it explicitly anyway. People sneaking in their own opinions as categorisations is a no-no.

Charles