[WikiEN-l] An idea for deletions

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 02:08:13 UTC 2007

On 2/14/07, Ron Ritzman <ritzman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just an idea I have been bouncing around for deletion nominations.
>
> If a user, any user either with an account or anonymous wants to
> nominate an article for deletion. Instead of posting directly to AFD,
> he instead enters the name of the article and the reason he thinks it
> needs to be deleted into a web form. The nomination then goes to a
> "deletion preview" team who can take one of several actions...

This looks like a step in the right direction. Wikipedia (or really,
MediaWiki) has very few "procedural" links in its interface. It takes
a lot of knowledge to know that you should type "WP:AFD" in the search
box, then follow further, fairly intricate and error-prone
instructions. It would be a hell of a lot easier if there was just a
"Suggest this article for deletion" button on every article, that
would walk the user through a deletion wizard like you describe.

A whole menu of buttons at the top or bottom of each article would be useful:
- Suggest this article for deletion
- Report a problem with this article (discussed several months ago)
- Edit this article (for consistency)
- Recategorise this article (another new front end to categories,
possibly with commonsenes?)
- Suggest a new article (a front-end to WP:AFC)
- Make a donation (why not :))

General theme: "What do you want to do" links in addition to the
current "What do you want to know" links.

Steve