[WikiEN-l] Deleting orphaned unfree images

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 12 20:58:22 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> I was thinking your motivation was to reduce some real-world harm. E.g.,
>> images sitting for a week causes difficulty X to person Y. I gather
>> you're saying it's a more abstract thing, an aesthetic preference?
>>

> The real world harm is that of copyright violations. IANAL, so I don't
> know if it is actually illegal for us to have unfree images on the
> site for a week without them being fair use, but it has to be quite
> close to that fine line.
"According to Wikipedia", the copyright holder does have to make a claim
of infringement before the legal system will even take an interest in
the matter. I don't really see how any copyright holder is going to make
much of a case for the revenue they're losing because a copy of an image
is flagged as being a probable copyvio for a few days, and is deleted
even faster if they complain about it. Intent is all-important, and it
will be pretty clear to everybody that we police ourselves rather
severely, in fact several fair-use advocates who work in the publishing
business grumble that we're being way pickier about copyright than is
normal for the industry.

To tie back into admins, it would be amusing if a court ordered us to
create more admins so that copyvio backlogs could be cleared quicker.
:-) Then people voting against RfAs could be jailed for being in
contempt of court... :-)

Stan